And whether you know...
Balanitis (inflammation of a balanus)
The balanitis is the disease which is characterized by an inflammation of a balanus. Usually the inflammation extends as well to a prepuce, and then a disease call a balanoposthitis. This very widespread inflammatory disease at men which can arise at some diseases of skin (for example, psoriasis), and also owing to the traumatic reasons, for example, of irritation urine, a smegma, clothes or various bacteria, viruses, against decrease in immunity, a diabetes mellitus, an urethritis and also when the hygienic rules as prevention of a balanitis are not respected.
Allocate several types of balanites:
- the traumatic balanitis is shown in formation of cracks, reddening and hypostasis, after coital or other injury;
- the balanitis which arose owing to irritation from accumulation of a smegma, urine, influence of detergents is shown by hypostasis of a balanus and its reddening;
- infectious balanitis.
The last type, in turn, is subdivided into several types depending on an infection:
- candidosis represents display of urogenital candidiasis at men, and arises owing to the sexual intercourse with the infected partner, however it can be shown also as a result of reception of antibiotics, and also at the patients suffering from a diabetes mellitus, a cachexia. It is characterized by puffiness and reddening of a balanus, with an easy peeling, spots of various sizes can be formed. Curdled allocations with an unpleasant smell, burning and an itch of a head and prepuce of a penis are observed;
- Chlamidia which usually accompanies a Chlamidia urethritis;
- mycoplasmal most often develops along with a mycoplasmal urethritis;
- mecotic usually arises at men who possess a long prepuce, and it is shown in the form of erosion and an erythema of a balanus;
- the tsirtsinarny balanoposthitis is shown in formation of large smooth bright red spots on a head of the member, and often accompanies a chlamydial infection;
- the xerotic balanitis is also display of a chlamydial infection, and also a syndrome of Reuters, and is characterized by a peeling of a head and its increased dryness, and also an itch;
- the anaerobic balanitis (the gardnerella-associated balanoposthitis) caused by anaerobic gram-negative bacteria is shown in the form of erosion and hypostasis of a prepuce, a sticky plaque on a head and an unpleasant smell;
- the herpetic balanitis is shown in formation of herpetic rash on a balanus.
Separately it is necessary to mention allergic balanoposthites which represent displays of a genital allergy. They are characterized by emergence of puffiness and an itch of skin, spots, rashes. Often arise after use of condoms, local contraceptives.
The balanitis reasons, in general, are not various. A basic reason of emergence and development of inflammatory process is accumulation of a smegma under a prepuce where the infection develops.
Treat local factors of a disease of a balanoposthitis:
- at an urethritis or other infectious diseases from an urethra pus is emitted that leads to inflammatory processes and a balanitis;
- non-compliance with hygienic rules that leads to amassment under a prepuce of a smegma in which the infection develops;
- chronic irritation of a balanus urine that is characteristic of patients with a diabetes mellitus;
- coital or other injury, excess masturbation (traumatic balanitis);
- radiation of skin owing to radiation therapy.
Various viruses, mushrooms, bacteria, for example, barmy mushrooms, mycoplasmas, streptococci, staphylococcus and others belong to infectious factors of emergence of balanites. Often balanoposthites are result of complication of venereal diseases – trichomoniasis, clamidiosis, gonorrhea, syphilis. Also such skin diseases as seborrheal dermatitis, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, Keyr's eritroplaziya which develop also on penis skin are the reason of a balanoposthitis. Besides, among balanitis origins, doctors allocate genetic and autoimmune factors.
Symptoms of a balanoposthitis are very different, and depend on a kind of the disease. Local symptoms of a balanitis following:
- puffiness and reddening of a balanus;
- prepuce erythema;
- burning and itch;
- purulent discharges from a prepuce opening with an unpleasant smell;
- dryness and irritation;
- emergence of ulcers, erosion on a balanus;
- nodular rash;
- emergence of cracks and crusts;
- morbidity when opening a head and during sexual intercourse;
- premature ejaculation.
General symptoms of a balanitis it:
- febricula, weakness;
- hyperadenosis, including in a groin;
- rashes in mucous a mouth.
If to postpone treatment of a balanitis, then there can be ulcers which are followed by painful feelings when walking and at an urination. As complications of a balanitis can develop an inflammation of lymph nodes of a penis, and also penis gangrene.
Diagnosis of a balanitis
The diagnosis "balanitis" is made on the basis of laboratory and clinical analyses. The doctor appoints carrying out analyses to diseases which are transmitted sexually. Externally the balanitis comes to light without difficulties, it is more difficult to find out the reason of its emergence. For this purpose the patient passes serological research on syphilis, bakterioskopichesky inspection on trichomoniasis and gonorrhea, inspection on genital herpes, PRTs on the mushrooms causing candidiasis and on anaerobic flora. Besides, consultation at the allergist and blood test is appointed to the level of content of sugar.
Treatment of a balanitis
Treatment depends on the reason and a stage of a disease and is carried out under supervision of the urologist. Obligatory actions are daily washing warm water with penis soap. For decrease in irritation during the sexual intercourse can be used special cream. If diagnosis of a balanitis establishes the reason, then efforts of doctors are directed to treatment of a basic disease and symptoms of a balanitis. Usually treatment of a balanitis is limited to twenty-minute cool trays with solution of Furacilin and potassium permanganate, or with normal saline solution which are carried out 2-3 times a day. After a tray the balanus and a prepuce is greased with zinc oxide ointment, tetracycline, sintomitsinovy ointment, Garamycinum, and also the drugs containing fish oil. The anaerobic balanitis is treated by metronidazole, at a mycoplasmal balanoposthitis high doses of tetracycline are appointed. Corticosteroid ointments treat a xerotic balanitis. The rate of antifungal or antibacterial drugs is at the same time appointed.
If the phymosis is a cause of illness, carry out operational treatment of a balanitis, namely, trimming of a prepuce of a penis.
Also physiotherapeutic procedures are appointed, namely: ozonotherapy, heliation, a thermomagnetotherapy, elektroferez, infrared laser therapy, a penis UVCh-inductothermy which have antiinflammatory effect and promote elimination of an inflammation.
Prevention of a balanitis
The main preventive measures are strict observance of rules of hygiene and treatment of a phymosis and other diseases which can lead to a balanitis. It is necessary to wash a penis 2 times a day, and also before sexual intercourse, with warm water, opening a head and clearing it. Treatment of a diabetes mellitus, the protected sex, the correct treatment by antibiotics also belong to preventive measures. At detection of the first symptoms of a disease it is necessary to address the urologist urgently.
Complications of a balanitis
The phymosis and miatalny stenosis which is shown in narrowing of an outside opening of an urethra that leads to frustration of an urination, and also to cystitis, an urolithiasis can become complications of a balanitis. Also, if a balanoposthitis not to treat, then reduction of sensitivity of a penis is possible that leads to decline in quality of sex life. In case of transition of inflammatory process to an urethra, the urethritis can begin. Some forms of a balanitis lead to necrosis of a balanus.