Allergy to stings of insects

The allergy to stings of insects is an immune response which arises on stings or sting of insects, but also it can arise also at contact with insects. Usually the sting of mosquitoes, mosquitoes, wasps or bees causes local reactions in the form of hypostasis, reddenings, burnings which disappear after a while. But if the person has an allergy, then the sting or contact with an insect can cause acute allergic reaction.

Similar allergic reactions to stings of insects meet not too often, but are capable to affect very quickly internals that leads to an acute anaphylaxis which poses threat for life.

The most dangerous allergen of this row is poison of bees and wasps. It is important to note that every fifth, in the childhood transferred allergic reaction to stings of insects, has a similar allergy during all life.

Symptoms of an allergy to stings of insects

At each person sting is shown differently. Today allocate 3 types of reactions – moderate, local and acute allergic reactions.

Moderate allergic reaction to sting is shown in a swelling of the place of a sting, to emergence of pain or burning, a severe itch on site of a sting. Usually in several days hypostasis and an itch fall down.

Local allergic reaction can be very dangerous if the insect stung the person in an oral cavity or a throat. It can lead not only to display of urticaria, but also to sharp falling of a blood pressure, throat hypostasis, difficulty of breath and swallowing, nausea and vomiting. This state is especially dangerous to people of advanced age because of a possibility of asthma from a Quincke's edema that can lead to death.

Acute allergic reaction (anaphylactic reaction) arises usually in 10-20 minutes after a sting and lasts till 4 o'clock. The earlier it was shown, the heavier proceeds. For example, if reaction came in a few minutes after a sting, then almost in 40% of cases it leads to death.

The main symptoms of an allergy to stings of insects can be described so: this emergence of the small tortoiseshell, sometimes on all body, a breath zatrudnennost, an otdyshka, sharp recession of arterial pressure, dizziness, a loss of consciousness, a tumor of the place of a sting, emergence of feeling of alarm. Such reactions arise not often, however demand immediate medical assistance since they can lead to a lethal outcome.

Treatment of an allergy to stings of insects

Usually the allergy to stings of insects is treated by administration of adrenaline (Epinephrinum) which is capable not to allow development of acute allergic reaction. Also the allergologist can appoint droppers or sessions of treatment oxygen. People who are inclined to an allergy should have always at themselves a set of immediate medical care which the doctor will help to pick up to you. At sting it is necessary to impose as soon as possible a plait of a sting 20 min. higher than the place, to remove a sting or to squeeze out poison of an insect, to put to the place of a sting cold, or the calming ointment (hydrocortisone cream) applied on a sterile bandage, to accept antihistaminic drug, for example, izoprenalin under language. Use of Epinephrinum is solved individually, depending on weight of allergic reactions. Before a dangerous season it is possible to carry out treatment of an allergy to stings of insects by a rate of the antihistaminic drugs appointed by the doctor.

Prevention of an allergy to stings of insects

If you are inclined to allergic reactions to stings of insects, then observe the following precautionary measures: do not use cosmetics with sweet aromas (shampoos, creams, spirits) since they attract insects, try to avoid places of accumulation of insects and you wear clothes which leave as little as possible open body parts.

Section: Allergology